Browse Exhibits (56 total)
The Nisei Collection at the University of Nebraska is a collection of newspapers and photographs from World War II. The collection highlights the Japanese-American experience in war relocation camps and the Nisei experience at UNL.
This is an exhibit about the trials that took place in the Law Building on campus in May and June of 1918. The trials were held over the disloyalty of professors who spoke about United States involvement in World War I.
Cultural Plurality: The Struggle for a Chicano Studies Program at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
This exhibit explores the founding of the Chicano Studies Program in the College of Arts & Sciences at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. The time line begins in 1971 and ends with the implementation of the Chicano Studies program in 1976.
There are photographs, and documents within the exhibit.
The federal government, under the auspice of the Morrill Act, endowed the state of Nebraska with 90,000 acres of land to create a state agricultural college. The profit from land sold allowed for the creation of the University of Nebraska. Yet the correlation of federal land and physical university is not one of spatiality, but rather of ink and paper.
This project traces the origins of the University through laws from Congress to the Board of Regents and is focused on the federal land endowment that allowed for the creation of the University of Nebraska.
The University of Nebraska is a land grant institution. This means that the University of Nebraska, like many other public universities, has its roots buried deep in the state and federal governments. An ambitious federal law passed in 1862 put in motion a tremendous initiative. Federal land was gifted to the states of the Union to create their own systems of higher education. Nebraska would declare its intent in 1869, less than two years after gaining statehood.
This project traces the creation of the University of Nebraska through officially published legal documentation. In short, the Federal Government passed a law, which the state of Nebraska accepted verbatim. The Nebraska state government in turn created the University of Nebraska, further appointing the Board of Regents as overseers of the University. These three separate entities are connected through the land endowment. It is the goal of this project to detail the endowment through the three levels of influence.
Presented in a typical linear format the data follows a chronological order, beginning in 1862 and ending in 1890. Following a chronological order, the process of land endowment ranges from the top-down, from the federal level to the university. It is suggested to follow this path if the reader wishes to best understand the subject matter. Yet the very nature of the internet and digital navigation allows for the typical historical narrative to take many different forms. The presentation of this project is no exception as each element is designed to stand-alone. Users may freely access information in whatever order they so desire.
The Pride of All Nebraska: A Band's Growth from the Military Tradition
Shout, sound out, sound out loud and clear!
Let the team all know the Band is here.
Sons of old Nebraska if someone should ask ya
We're the Scarlet and the Cream!"
-- Nebraska Band Song
In 1879 at the University of Nebraska Lt. Webster founded an inexperienced twelve member band with the intention of provoking interest in military drill.1 One hundred and thirty years later, the Cornhusker Marching Band is a 290 strong group of highly trained musicians whose most contact with the military is a once a year armed forces tribute.
Though it was created under the wing of the military department, the band soon asserted itself on the campus as a spirit rallying force, a concert band, and a beloved university icon. It would take decades before the band’s journey from a military to a primarily musical and athletic organization would be completed. Financial support, changing societal standards, and community pressure would define the struggle waged over the type of group that the “University of Nebraska Military Cadet Band” would eventually become.
The Pride of All Nebraska project is a collection of documents, photographs, and letters from this transitional time in the band's history. Begin by reading more about the project, starting at the beginning, or directly browsing the sources.
How to Use This Site
This site is a project for History 470: Digital History at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Digital history is a method, a tool, or perhaps even a sub-field within history. The concept of digital history is relatively new and its direction and potential have not been completely realized at this time. The projects for Hist 470 were created within the Omeka publishing platform and seek to test the abilities and boundaries of this building tool. Omeka enables viewers to click on an "item" (for example the scan of a book cover to the left) and be directed to a page displaying information about the item and keywords linking the item to other similar items. Viewers can display the item at its full size by clicking a second time upon the image. Most of the images scanned for this collection are displayed within the pages as thumbnails, but can be viewed at their actual size.
The Pride of All Nebraska project uses the techniques of digital history to the advantage of those interested in the Nebraska band's history who do not have access or time to dig around in the archives for themselves. For these individuals the Sources section of the collection was intentionally created in the hopes that browsing would be made easier.
But what separates a digital archival collection from a digital history collection is the analysis. The Military Foundation and Growing Identity sections of the collection seek to sort out and explain what happened and why the band grew away from its military roots. These sections are largely chronological.
During the mid-1930s, a revolution took place on campus. One that wasn't violent, or even really demonstrated. One that would result in a building being built on campus for one purpose: to bring the students of the University of Nebraska at Lincoln together under one roof for any activity desired.
Ever since its creation, the Student Union has been the centerpoint of student attention on the University of Nebraska's City Campus. Located at 14th and R Streets, it is one of the major hotspots in downtown Lincoln.
The Student Union's history is interesting to say the least. Many college campuses across the world have buildings dedicated to bringing the students together, but they haven't always existed. The idea of student unionism has been around for centuries, but never really implemented into modernized universities until the late 19th century. The Student Union at St. Andrews in Britain is the oldest union in the United Kingdom, having been established in 1864.
Nebraska's Student Union was an idea that had been shuffled around in the faculty for quite some time, a need addressed by Chancellor E. A. Burnett in his letter titled "Student Activities Building" in 1937. This idea was embraced by the student population immediately, and was spread to the rest of the city soon after. At the time, the city of Lincoln was much smaller; much more influenced by the University and its plans. The University was swallowing land the city had once owned extremely quickly.
News spread rapidly in December 1936 with the announcement of the construction of the Student Union. This led to the rest of the University rallying support for the Union, providing the other $200,000 in bonds that were to be paid back by February 1943. These bonds were used to pay the construction companies, while the bonds would actually be paid off with student / faculty fees over the next several years.
Planning took place, and letters were sent out. The Alumni Association volunteered to furnish the Union, and sent out donation letters discussing why the Student Union matters to the alumni. Other letters and memos were sent out discussing what faculty would want to pay for to use in the Union, what they would even use the Union for, and how they could become members of the Union.
Once the construction companies had been chosen, the real work began. The building was finished by May 1938, and when it was, the hype for the Union was already too much. Flyers, posters, and articles had already come out, discussing how the Union would revolutionize the University of Nebraska's campus.
Read through the documents to see for yourself how excited both the faculty and students were to finally have a place they could get away from all the classroom instruction, hallways, and the mess of grading papers. After that is all said and done, take a look at how significant the Union is to our University today.
This website is part of the growing Digital History Collection here at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. It was created by a student named Dustin Lipskey as part of the requirements for History 470, Digital History, a class dedicated to learning about digital humanities. This website is a product of digital humanities, and helps preserve our once book-only history in a digital format. It provides a non-linear, web-based approach to reading and understanding our history.
The topic discussing the Student Union was chosen because of the central impact the Union has on our every day lives attending the University. Since the history of the Union is so broad, it was chosen to only study the publications and the reactions of those surrounded by the idea of a student center on the University's land.
The purpose of this site is to show the reader the concrete evidence on how the people involved in this revolutionary project did their work, how they conveyed their feelings, and what it really did to impact the University the way it did.
What happened between the years of 1936 and 1939 just, to put it simply "got the ball rolling" on changing the social background of the University. It became a much more social, more inviting place to come and study. It kept the students wanting to come back for more learning, social experiences, and activities.
That all started with the Student Union.
A detailed look into the Nebraska Cornhuskers' first road trip outside the midwest for a football game. They traveled to Portland, Oregon to play the Oregon State Aggies. The game marked the first time that the Nebraska football team traveled outside the midwest to play an opponent. The game was organized with the help of the Cornhusker coach, E.J. Stewart. Stewart was a first year coach at the University and stressed the need for not only the football team, but all the sports to schedule tougher opponents in order to gain national respect, even if the risk of defeat was higher. Due to Stewart's, along with others, influence on athletics at Nebraska, a legacy of pride and confidence began to grow. The trip to Portland to take on the Aggies was just the first step.
“For Nebraska, we will.”- 1916 Nebraska vs. Oregon State: This project is intended to be a chronological look into the Nebraska Cornhusker football team’s trip to Portland, Oregon, to take on the Oregon Agricultural College Aggies. The Huskers intended on making their schedules tougher, thanks to Dr. E.J. Stewart and his determination to make the Nebraska football program one of the top in the nation. The ability of Nebraska University to schedule stronger out of conference opponents led to a growth in support, not only in the state of Nebraska, but nationwide (Cornhusker Yearbook, "The Future" letter). “Husker Spirit” became one of the main staples of Nebraska football and still continues to make the Huskers a special team to play against on any given Saturday.
This exhibit tells the story of the recall and censorship of the 1912 Cornhusker resulting from Chancellor Samuel Avery's objections to the content and attitude of many of the cartoons featured in the yearbook.
Dana VanDusen, the editor of the 1912 Cornhusker, predicted more than once within the pages of the yearbook that he might upset some of his readers with many cartoons depicting drinking, gambling as well as an uneasy relationship between the University and the Legislature. What he might not have predicted is that Chancellor Avery would recall the books and have the objectionable pages removed. Because of this, there are three known versions of the 1912 yearbook in existence: the complete and uncensored version and two censored versions—one with pages and specific sections blacked out, and the other missing the corresponding pages.
Honoring the Mother Tongue: The Struggle to Establish and Maintain Czech Language Instruction from 1903-1919
From 1905-1907, Bohemian students, educators, business leaders and politicians battled to establish a Czech language program at the University of Nebraska. They fought against an administration that felt Czech had no place in the University as part of the modern language curriculum. A 1905 Board of Regents committee appointed to look into the matter found the University did not want to promote, " such racial and linguistic distinctions solely for their own sake."(Davis). They further asserted, “As a representative of Slavonic languages its study is of loss ad-vantage, philologically considered, than that of Russian; while from the point of view of literature its body of general and scientific thought is as yet comparatively negligible.” (Davis). The administration underestimated the passion the Bohemian-Americans felt for their mother tongue or the lengths they were will to go to in order to have Czech taught along side such academic staples as German, and French. By 1907 the Bohemian-Americans realized their goal at the University of Nebraska.
This exhibit tells the story of John J. Pershing, Roscoe Pound, and the 1917 University of Nebraska Commencement.
In 1917, General John J. Pershing was invited to come back and speak at the commencement excercises at the University of Nebraska. He happily accepted the invitation and looked forward to his return to Lincoln. But, as the First World War began to intensify, the United States military also wanted Pershing to command the U.S. Forces. He declined the invitation to speak. Left without a speaker, Chancellor Samuel Avery needed to figure out a solution. He called on another distinguished alumni, Roscoe Pound, Dean of the Harvard University Law School. Pound accepted and gave the address.
This exhibit explores Mabel Lee and Louise Pound and how both women affected the University of Nebraska and are today commemorated on campus. It then discusses the differences between the two women and the feud surrounding them, as well as examining how 2 such different women are similarly commemorated on the same campus.
In 1892, the University of Nebraska installed an iron fence with gates around the edges of campus. The fence was intended to keep cows from wandering on to campus and also a way to manage students entering and leaving . The gates were locked at 10 pm every night, which proved to be quite the inconvenience at times. There is a particularly well-known story about a professor trying to leave campus after 10 that is often associated with the story of the fence. It is told that a professor was staying late to work in his lab and when he tried to go home for the night, the gates had been locked. He then tried to climb over the fence and ended up tearing his jacket in the process (Iron Fence). Not too long after this occurrence, the students and staff of the University arrived one morning to find the fence gone.
It was in March of 1922 that the fence had been removed, though the two gates still remained in place. There was much speculation as to what lead to their removal and no one was sure as to who gave the orders (Last Vestiges). Eventually, most chose to believe the most logical conclusion was because of the difficulties the fence provided for the fire department along with the growing size of the University. With the rapid expansion, more and more of the University was outside of the fence. The fence was stored on Ag Campus, now known as East Campus, for two years. Wyuka chose to purchase the fence and it can still be seen along "O" Street (Gate 'Monuments').
The gates themselves were moved around until 1942 where it was decided to place them near the Union and the Pharmacy College. They stood in those places until June of 1947 when they were both taken down because they were deemed "out of place" by university superintendent L.F. Seaton though 90% of students in an unofficial poll conducted by the student newspaper were in favor of "saving" the gates. Intentions had been for the gates to be stored under the west stadium for future historical reference, but instead they ended up in a scrap pile on Ag Campus (Gate 'Monuments').
The removal and storage of the gates did not please people and seven years after their removal, the Iron Gates Committee was formed to oversee the restoration these beloved monuments.
This exhibit explains who the man behind the well known Bessey Hall was. It goes into great detail about the life of Charles E. Bessey, and it specifically focuses on his work at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. As well as informing the observer about Bessey himself, this exhibit also explores the origins of the famous Bessey Hall.
This exhibit is designed to show the work that was put into getting the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's Memorial Stadium built as a living memorial to Nebraska's soldiers who fought in World War I. This exhibit includes the original project proposals, the fundraising effort undertaken at the time, and the ceremonies that marked the groundbreaking and commemoration of the stadium.
This exhibit chronicles the history of the Schiller Linden tree planted by professor of German language Laurence Fossler and the events surrounding its defacement and replacement.
This project explores the ways in which the University of Nebraska-Lincoln commemorates the legacy of Willa Cather on campus and some possible reasons behind it.
Charles Henry Oldfather served as the University of Nebraska dean of the college of arts and sciences from 1932 until 1951 when he retired. Before 1932, Oldfather was a professor of Ancient History on the Nebraska Campus. In his years at UNL, Oldfather had many positive effects on the campus which are still around today. Today, there is a building named after Oldfather in which the current Dean of Arts and Sciences maintains an office. The classicist views of Oldfather shaped and formed a whole new path on which the University of Nebraska flourished.
This exhibit explores the story behind the construction of the Broyhill Fountain near the University of Nebraska's city campus Union and how it has evolved over time.
The fountain that exists at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's Union has long been a focal point of the city campus. Many students spend time near it or pass by multiple times daily, yet are unaware that there is actually an interesting story behind the fountain and that it was constructed as a commemeration for a student, Lynn Diann Broyhill, who had tragically died.
This project aims to provide information on the story behind the fountain through presenting a biography of Broyhill, exploring the construction and dedication of the original fountain, and telling of the reconstruction and rededication of the fountain to how it is seen today.
For decades, Memorial Stadium has been a defining symbol of the University. The three monuments located outside the stadium add to its majestic aura and memorialize the men who achieved greatness through embodying the football program's legacy of tradition, character, and leadership.
This exhibit commemorates the contibutions of General Pershing to the University of Nebraska during his time as head of the Military Department, as a faculty member, and the legacy he has left in the city of Lincoln
This exhibit examines the impact of the controversy over Native American remains and their repatriation. It shows the effects of the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA) law throughout the nation, and the law's specific effects that sparked controversy at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and culminated in the creation of a reconciliation plaque on East Campus.
The Porch is a commemoration to S. W. Perin, the college farm superintendent who worked there from 1889 to 1930. S. W. Perin was known for taking care of the farm and fostering its growth into what East Campus is today.
As one of the premier land-grant universities established in the Midwest in the late parts of the 19th and early parts of the 20th century, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln was a pioneer in higher education in many ways.
The English Department at the University was influential in shaping one of the first generations of writers to come from Nebraska specifically in their support of undergraduate writing programs. The Kiote and The Freshman Scrapbook were two such writing programs dedicated to publishing the works of undergraduates at UNL, allowing students to experience the world of publishing their own work.
The Kiote and The Freshman Scrapbook are filled with poems, short stories, political essays, humorous pieces, and many tidbits about life at the University at the beginning of the 20th century. Nebraska's legacy as a boon to young writers began early and can be witnessed in the multitude of talents present throughout these works.
This collection seeks to showcase the literary and academic growth in the University's English department because of the publication of these works. The collection includes a work from each printed edition of The Kiote and The Freshman Scrapbook as well as other notable or entertaining works interspersed. Scans of the editions are included with most works.
This exhibit focuses on the 1920s in the University's history. The '20s were a time of identity crisis for the country and the University. WWI had just ended in 1918 and the United States was recovering and rediscovering themselves. As for the University, there was no post-war recuperating, but there was plenty of soul-searching as to what type of school the University would be. With the construction of Memorial Stadium, athletics were becoming just as important as academics. And much like the U.S. presidents of the 1920s, the administration during the 1920s at the University did not exhibit strong leadership. Decisions regarding new colleges were plentiful during this era; decisions that would ultimately define the University of Nebraska-Lincoln as what it is today.
At the turn of the century the University of Nebraska was transforming from a small prairie school to a prestigious center for higher education in a growing community. This exhibit aims to outline the legacies, controversies, and the indentity of the University of Nebraska in the 1900s.
This exhibit examines college life in the 1910s at the young University of Nebraska dealing with the shock of World War I, the changes that came with it, and how dark times led to hope for a brighter future.
Drawing from the picture of the University as a booming, spirited community, this project will delve into the University's situation in the fabulous 1890s. By researching the Administration, Faculty, Students, and Community at that time, this project seeks to portray an unbiased and accurate picture of the University in the 1890s.
This exhibit is about the University of Nebraska-Lincoln during the 1960s and its growth during this time.
The eighties was a decade of seemingly certain war with the Soviet Union and in a time when the President of the United States implemented his own economic system, Reaganomics, which not only reduced income taxes and regulation, but also significantly reduced federal aid to state governments. This exhibit shows how amidst these changes that had a substantial effect on state funding of higher educational institutions, UNL took the changes in stride in this steadfast decade committed to growth, advancement towards the future, and excellence.
The decade of the 1940s was one that was clearly divided into two parts: wartime and peacetime. The outbreak of World War II had a profound effect on the entire country, including the University of Nebraska- Lincoln. When the dust settled, a new culture developed on campus. This project traces the history of UNL during the1940s.