The Union

Despite the down times of the Depression, the late 1930s saw the establishment of the Nebraska Student Union. The student council president at the time, Jack Fischer, was largely responsible for creating the Union. He received support from the students by sending out a petition in 1935 that received over 2,300 signatures, and from congressmen, senators, and the Alumni Association. The Board of Regents would request PWA support to build the Union, but this money would only cover 45 percent of the $400,000 price tag. The students then agreed to contribute the other 55 percent through fees (Knoll). A few regents and even the chancellor, however, did not support the idea of a student union because they were uneasy about borrowing federal money. Despite the disapproval, the Union seemed to be a “sure thing” (Knoll). After running into a roadblock – the application to build the Union had not been made and the PWA money was about the run out – the students began collecting pledges to build the Union. All of the students’ efforts eventually paid off, and the Union was completed in May of 1938, three years after Jack Fischer’s initial push (Knoll) (Lipskey).