The Original House
A farm was purchased in 1874 by the Nebraska Board of Regents to be used for the college purpose of teaching agriculture. The farm was on Holdrege in the same place it is today though it was not as big back then. The original wood frame house was built in the fall of 1875 to be used as a dormitory (Reeder 1971). Later when S.W. Perin and his family moved to the farm, they lived in the building. In 1923 the Perin's moved to 33rd and Holdrege and the house was torn down (Reeder 1971).
The house was a central place for the farm. It housed some of the students. For some of the boys, the Perin's and the house became their home away from home. Mrs. Perin would also cook in the house and feed the college students and professors that would come out to the farm.
The porch was a place were everyone could relax. It is probably the site were many stories and jokes were told. One could just imagine everyone sitting out on the porch one evening alive with chatter. In the middle of it all would be "Dad" Perin and Laura.
This map shows the Campus at the University Farm in 1908 to 1909.