Role as Superintendent

Dad and Laura Perin on the old porch

"At the Farm of 320 acres there were the old stone house, built in 1867, an animal house for Dr. Billings, the Horse Barn, machine shed, corn crib, hog house and shop and our dwelling house, which had been built for a dormitory to house students who did chores for their board and room." In this excerpt from Perin's radio address, "Thirty-seven Years at the Farm," he describes the buildings that were on the college farm on Holdrege street east of Lincoln when he came in 1889.

Perin's job in the early years included many of the things that were needed to run the farm. He was in charge of caring for the experiments going on at the farm. This included any crops in test plots, crops for the animals, hogs, cattle, horses, and chickens. Perin was in charge of the general upkeep of the farm. He was also in charge of the college boys required to work out at the farm while enrolled in the College of Agriculture. The boys lived in the same large white frame house as the family and would do the daily chores on the farm in the mornings and evenings and go into town for class at the University (Reeder 1971).

One of the things that Perin really enjoyed was to give people a tour of the college farm. When new professors or other important people came to town, Perin was waiting for them and their spouses at the train station with horses and wagon to show them around the University and the farm. It was this way that Perin first met future Dean of Agriculture and Chancellor Burnett and his wife ("The Grand Old..." 1926). Even as the farm grew into a University, Perin was always ready to show anyone willing the farm.

As more classes and departments were moved out to the farm, and buildings added, Perin still held the title of the superintendent of the college farm. His job became less working with the experimental test plots and animals, and more administrative, The last ten acres of land under Perin's care was surrendered to be the site of the College Activities Building completed in 1926 ("The Grand Old..." 1926).

Perin passed away in 1930 from illness. He worked up until his last nine months when he was confinded to his bed.

Perin's Superintendent Journals from March 30 & 31, 1894

Perin kept detailed journal entries for everyday on the farm. He included the weather conditions and what was done that day on the farm.