In the 1890s, the University constantly shifted its academic opportunities as a result of growth and need. Students had to register through Ellen Smith who worked in the library. According to tales found in the 1899 yearbook, Smith was avoided because of her piercing glance and coolness. University Hall held several of the classrooms and meeting rooms on campus. In Grant Hall, students were able to practice physical education; by 1890, coed classes were optional. The University was one of the first universities to offer a degree in Physical Education for women (Geyer). The College of Law was founded in 1892 (The University 34). When Canfield hired Carrie Belle Raymond in 1894 as Director of Music, orchestra and choirs began to grow (Geyer). After much debate and consideration, the Latin School was suspended in September of 1895 due to the poor economic situation as depression affected the state. In the same year, the graduate school was formed. A summer school, made for incompetent high school teachers, opened in the summer. The two honorary organizations Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi were founded in 1896 and 1897, respectively. The Mechanic Arts Building was opened in 1897 (Manley), and the School of Fine Arts was established in 1898 (The University 34).